Saturday, December 29, 2007

Summary of PPD/PTSD Books

As part of my healing process from Postpartum Depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after the birth of my son, I read many, many books on this topic.


I read some of these books when I was deep in my own depression, and I read others when I was almost out of the depression. At that point, I was thinking of writing my own book... and wanted to see what I had missed during my first reading session.


There are many PPD books out there, and I must share with you that I found nuggets of wisdom and help in every book that I read. They were all similar, yet very different.


Different books will appeal to different readers...


When I was most depressed, I wanted to read stories written by other moms. I wanted to hear about their yuck, their anger, and their grief. I wanted to know I wasn't alone, and that I wasn't crazy. Most of all, I wanted to know that I would come out of it... for at that point, it felt like I would never, ever surface from my PPD hell.


When I was almost healed, I wanted to read more about the logistics and details of PPD... I wanted to uncover - in a sane, coherent fashion - what I had just gone through in such a dazed stupor. I wanted to see if there was any stone left unturned... and what I would do differently next time.

The books that I've summarized here contain both types of reading experiences. I've included my own synopsis of the books... but please keep in mind that these are my own personal responses... not my professional responses.


Here's a link to the list of books:


http://www.bostonhealthcoach.com/ppdbooks.html

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home